TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF
Eating the right foods is only part of the equation for a healthy body and mind. With today’s busy family schedules and longer work days, it is more important than ever to find the time to take care of yourself and meet your own needs every once in a while.
Try incorporating one or more of these ideas into your schedule each day.
- Be active in something you enjoy for at least 30 min, three times a week. If relaxing is more your style, take a scenic walk or do some gardening.
- Let go of old grudges and forgive people who have hurt you in the past.
- Make sure you laugh today. See a funny movie, go out to a comedy club, or call an old friend who always cracks you up.
- Feel good about yourself. Accept who you are and how you look, and treat yourself well.
- Breathe deeply when you feel stress. Exhale first, then breathe in. Exhale again slowly, letting your tension out. You will feel more relaxed.
- Pamper yourself with healthy indulgences. Get a professional pedicure or a massage, or relax at home with a warm bath and a good book.
- Get plenty of sleep to revitalize your mind and body. Consistent hours of sleep are just as important as total hours of rest. Aim for an average of 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night.